[ale] Sessions question

Jim Kinney jkinney at jimkinney.us
Mon Oct 19 13:51:10 EDT 2015

It's about PIDs and parents. Each login (console or remote) has a
parent PID that the kernel uses to track all child processes. From
connection A you request a find job and from connection B you start a
tar process. The kernel internally sees the login PID as the owner of
all of those processes. That's why zombies get reassigned to PID 1.
Something failed spectacularly and the child didn't die when the parent
died. Now there's no way to control the zombie so it get's assigned to
PID1 and waits for a reboot.