[ale] CIFS mount issue

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Mon Oct 5 14:00:10 EDT 2015

Since Saturday, my Ubuntu 14.04 server has been having mount/connection
issues with a Win7 box.

a) The mount and copy was working for the last 6+ months.
b) A small XML file is copied from the Ubuntu server to the Win7 machine
daily when it works.
c) The command:
sudo mount -t cifs //172.22.22.8/Data /Data/win7ult -o
username=jd,password=xxxxxxx,iocharset=utf8,rw,uid=jd,sec=ntlmv2

The Error:
  mount: //172.22.22.8/Data: can't read superblock

Running the same command again produces:
  "mount: Remote I/O error"

nmap from the server to the share-box shows:
139/tcp   open  netbios-ssn
445/tcp   open  microsoft-ds

Basically, it seems like the export has gone stale.  I manually umount
it, but no attempts to remount work. Removing the share from Windows,
then re-enabling it hasn't helped.

Did the registry hack to allow NTLMv2 connections. No change.

>From Windows, it is still shared and available to other Windows systems.

gvfs mount attempts fail with different errors both using the hostname
and ip.

I think this share is 5+ yrs old.

"Help me Obiwan, you are my only hope."