[ale] Struggling with rsync

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Thu Oct 1 10:33:42 EDT 2015

I've always struggled with the exclude option of rsync and I've thought that I had this right until I woke up and saw rsync transmitting kcore!

I have some chroots where I have done a bind mount of proc. I don't want rsync archiving those. Below is how I've formulated the command in perl to spawn the real rsync. I have moved the real rsync to rsync.bin. I'm using a backup system to backup / via rsync, but I can't specify exclude options in this system. I'm detecting the system on the server and then adding options to limit, log, and exclude.

system "$RSYNC_BIN --exclude={/dev/*,/proc/*,/opt/sw/template/proc/*,/sys/*,$log_path} --bwlimit=$limit_KB --log-file=$log_path @ARGV";

The problem is with '/opt/sw/template/proc/*' What should that be?