[ale] [90dw-lcthw] C as a second language

DJ-Pfulio djpfulio at jdpfu.com
Fri Nov 27 16:36:51 EST 2015

And that was the common advice from 1960-1995.
Since then, we've learned that students don't stick with languages long enough
if there isn't nearly immediate feedback and the ability to create useful programs.

Python provides those things, while forcing reasonable coding style.  Plus the
complexities of compilers, makefiles, linking, system debuggers can all be
avoided for the casual python person, while still providing most of the
background to be more successful at C.

IMHO.

I started with
* TRS-DOS BASIC
* FORTRAN 66
* FORTRAN 77
* a few engineering, functional languages MATLAB, Tk Solver, MathCAD, ...
* then about 20 languages nobody here has heard of ....  plus IBM 360 ASM
* then C, C++, Borne Shell, cshell, perl, python, Ruby, and I'm working on Perl6
now.  Did C/C++ on about 12 different platforms, if that helps.

I can help with C stuff too, but my knowledge is highly dated from the late
1990s. I was high-intermediate level of skill with C++. The C standards have
changed in a way that my knowledge might not be useful. For C++, the Std-Lib
changed everything. I thought everyone had switched from gmake to cmake about a
decade ago. That's too bad, because I was REALLY GOOD at gmake, including
automatic dependency stuff.

Oh ... and foswiki has to wait. Got a laptop replacement keyboard today that
REALLY needs to be installed. Have to disassemble the entire C720 to access the
keyboard part and I'd rather not brick the machine.