[ale] OT: how to use/reuse a bunch of 2.5 inch drives

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Fri Nov 27 15:17:36 EST 2015

I have plenty of old drives that I've been using a bit like disposable floppies (remember those..?) lately, but what I'm looking is taking the bulk of my live data and putting it on an ssdd raid chassis of some kind.
I'm leaning toward running a linux iSCSI target, but I would need something that supports high speed sata.
I have a low end Dell server that may work for me.
The biggest concern is the raid aspect. I don't really trust sata raid hardware solutions, not that I have used any, and I have not heard anything about how reliable ssdd is in a linux software raid implementation.
Any thoughts?
-jt

James Taylor
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com

>>> Jim Kinney <jkinney at jimkinney.us> 11/26/2015 9:18 AM >>>
Look for sata multiplier boards and/or external raid chassis or a tower case with the add-in raid cages (crams 4-6 small drives in the space of 2 external 5.25 drive bays.

There are also chassis's that support 12-24 2.5" drives.

Look up backblaze for serious ideas if you want to hack your own gear :-)