[ale] how to use/reuse a bunch of 2.5 inch drives

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Fri Nov 27 08:01:21 EST 2015

Ok, you asked....

No.

My data is too important to risk on old drives of unknown history. 2.5in
drives may have an ugly bounce history.

RAID is useful for HA, not as a backup technique - especially when
trying to be cheap and simple.

Spanning volumes across USB3 seems really risky to me. I've seen
vibrations cause USB connections to drop periodically. In 2002, lost 80%
of my data when 1 of 3 disks failed. These were concatenated disks, not
striped. It was a hard-learned lesson. Learned backup-religion that day,
I did.

A new $100 4TB holds lots of data and sits on a shelf next to another
4TB from a different vendor to hold important data. After 5 more yrs, 2
$100/ea 8TB disks will have that job. A few $30 USB docks mean no need
for enclosures again.

In short, old drives are useful to give to other people. ;)

On 11/27/2015 06:25 AM, Narahari 'n' Savitha wrote:
> Are you folks not facing the same question of how to handle the
> following question ?
>
> On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 5:33 AM, Narahari 'n' Savitha
> <savithari at gmail.com <mailto:savithari at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Friends:
>
>     Happy Thanksgiving.
>
>     I have, over the years accumulated many 2.5 internal drives and made
>     them external USB 3 drives.
>
>     Now that is accumulating too.
>
>     Looking for suggestions/solutions to make them RAID or backup drives
>     etc., connected to PC downstairs ?
>
>     -N

Got Linux? Used on smartphones, tablets, desktop computers, media
centers, and
servers by kids, Moms, Dads, grandparents and IT professionals.