[ale] Systemd and cygwin

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 12:32:17 EST 2015

On Tue, 2015-11-17 at 09:20 -0800, Alex Carver wrote:
> This bit just popped up on the cygwin mailing list recently (the
> "same
> thing" is referring to the Microsoft and Apple One user, one license
> model for programs that were traditionally single machine operations
> like word processing instead of shared server applications that now
> use
> seats.)
>
> "    The recent push to convert linux to use systemd -- is all about
> reducing the functionality of linux to require the same thing -- so
> 1 system monitor (systemd) can keep track of how many users are
> using "licensed seats" --- so vendors can force you to pay 10-100
> times for the same program.  It's also about locking down linux so
> that you can't easily your own programs to get around such licensing
> mechanisms (you'd have to "jailbreak" your computer -- as is done
> with smartphones these days, to allow you to run what you want on
> your own computer)."
????? Someone on cygwin had a paranoid thought and tried to make a
political statement. Since we have the source code for all of this
stuff, please find the lines that will make us have to pay license fees
to run multiple cores, containers, VM's, etc.
I call total BS on this.

James P. Kinney III

own tail. It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain