[ale] Ubuntu 15.10

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Thu Nov 12 23:02:49 EST 2015

The secret methods to use thermal paste as told from someone who has
used several pounds over the years in a laboratory setting on various
bits of equipment valued over $1 million:

0: Wear gloves for this process because skin oil is your enemy.

1: Get high quality silver colloid paste[A].  It's not too expensive but
it has high thermal conductivity.  For the lab I used to get it from
Williams Advanced Materials which is now owned by Materion.  The new
compound name is Thermotech TE Vaccum Paste.  It's meant to keep
sputtering targets cool that routinely see over 2kW of energy pumped
into them resulting in several hundred watts of heat all in a vacuum
chamber which means no convection (it all goes through a water cooled
heatsink).

2: Get a new, stiff putty knife from the hardware store.  It needs to be
very stiff, not one that can flex easily.

3: Clean all surfaces very well, including the putty knife, with lint
free cloth and a triad of acetone, isopropanol, and ethanol or, in a
pinch, just use high purity isopropanol (93% or better).

4: Apply a small dab of the paste (about the size of an apple seed) to
either the chip or the heatsink with the corner of the putty knife.  You
don't need much and you certainly don't want to "butter" the heatsink.

5: Scrape the putty knife flat across the surface that has the paste.
You will end up removing a fair amount of paste in the process and what
is left will be a very thin sheen.  This is all you need, resist the
urge to put more.

6:  Carefully align the two parts and press them together lightly
without twisting or rocking.  Then clamp in place.

After that you will have an air-free, ultra flat surface between the two
parts and maximum thermal conduction.  However, this only works with
really good paste.  The cheap stuff from a computer store doesn't work
as well nor does it stay plastic.  The white paste is even worse.  It's
good for large power transistors but not for this type of application.

A:  An alternative to silver colloid paste is indium foil.  You can buy
very thin sheets of foil (about the gauge of household aluminum foil)
from several vendors (ESPI Metals is one I usually use).  Indium is a
very soft metal, it flows when compressed.  You would cut a square to
fit the chip package, clean everything very well with lint-free cloth
and isopropanol and then tightly clamp the heat sink to the chip with
the foil in between.