[ale] Failing external drive. Planning to DD the failing drive to new external drive. Help please

Preston preston.lists at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 11:15:56 EST 2015

On 11/12/2015 10:03 AM, H P Ladds wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 10:55 AM, dev null zero two
> <dev.null.02 at gmail.com <mailto:dev.null.02 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     use ddrescue. it can be saved to a file.
>
> Am I being paranoid? I want to DD the drive, and then attempt the
> recovery. You you suggest skipping the DD and implement ddrecue
> immediately?
>
> Thanks

dd_rescue (or ddrescue) will image the drive and retry bad sectors
several times to get the data.

first, grab most of the error-free areas in a hurry:

ddrescue -n /dev/source /dev/destination rescued.log

then try to recover as much of the problem areas as possible:

ddrescue -d -r3 -f /dev/source /dev/destination rescued.log

*got a message that says "Output file exists..." so used "-f" after the
command to force.

Good luck!
Preston

--
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t
matter and those who matter don’t mind.