[ale] Serious: Comcast Business vs Residential

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Wed Nov 11 20:13:58 EST 2015

On 2015-11-11 16:40, Jim Lynch wrote:
> Agreed. Fax over voip is somewhat iffy.  See
> http://hylafax.sourceforge.net/docs/fax-over-voip.pdf for a good
> description of the problem.
>
> On 11/11/2015 06:57 PM, Boris Borisov wrote:
>> In general you have to try.

On a couple of the modems I've had you could log into them and check
what profiles are available to the ATA device.  If the T.38 profile is
enabled or available then that makes faxing quite a bit easier.  It's
not fool proof but it's a good indication that it will work more often
than not.  The hylafax report was written a while ago  and more
providers now support T.38 (more customers with fax over IP needs + more
complaints when it doesn't work = putting in T.38).

You still have to hope that the far end receiver is working right or
hasn't been reconfigured poorly.  I just faxed some documents a couple
months ago over my VoIP line.  I got a copy of the fax back via regular
US Mail because they couldn't read part of it.  The contrast was set so
high on the receiver that images were solid black.  But the rest of the
document was clear.  This was from a Supra fax modem using hylafax on a
VoIP line to some kind of stand-alone fax machine on the far end.