[ale] SSH tunnel vs VPN

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Fri Nov 6 12:24:08 EST 2015

Everyone here needs a VPN running at their home,  if just for cell phone
privacy. You may also need another VPN at some cloud provider if AT&T
is  your  ISP.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/11/user-data-plundering-by-android-and-ios-apps-is-as-rampant-as-you-suspected/

Check the comments from the guy running pfsense with snort filtering. My
next project. Definitely RTFA too.

On 11/06/2015 10:37 AM, Alex Carver wrote:
> I'm once again mildly pondering a VPN for home use but I wonder if it's
> worth the effort over just having SSH with tunnels.
>
> The main purpose for either one is to let me get back to my home network
> from my phone so I can do things like view security cameras, check/send
> email, and some other minor things.
>
> As far as I can tell from the documents, I only need to open a UDP port
> inbound on the firewall to establish the connection because the server
> should then set up an outbound connection back to the client (solving
> the NAT traversal and stateful firewall issues, please correct me if I'm
> wrong on this).
>
> Is it actually worth the setup or should I just stick with SSH?  The
> current setup is an Android phone with ConnectBot and a bunch of
> tunnels.  If I were to go VPN I would get a new machine (likely a SBC
> like a RasPi) to be the server, the firewall is still a separate device.

Got Linux? Used on smartphones, tablets, desktop computers, media
centers, and
servers by kids, Moms, Dads, grandparents and IT professionals.