[ale] SSH tunnel vs VPN

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Fri Nov 6 10:37:02 EST 2015

I'm once again mildly pondering a VPN for home use but I wonder if it's
worth the effort over just having SSH with tunnels.

The main purpose for either one is to let me get back to my home network
from my phone so I can do things like view security cameras, check/send
email, and some other minor things.

As far as I can tell from the documents, I only need to open a UDP port
inbound on the firewall to establish the connection because the server
should then set up an outbound connection back to the client (solving
the NAT traversal and stateful firewall issues, please correct me if I'm
wrong on this).

Is it actually worth the setup or should I just stick with SSH?  The
current setup is an Android phone with ConnectBot and a bunch of
tunnels.  If I were to go VPN I would get a new machine (likely a SBC
like a RasPi) to be the server, the firewall is still a separate device.