[ale] Topic ideas for November meeting

Scott Plante splante at insightsys.com
Mon Nov 2 14:28:33 EST 2015

That's not really accurate. MS bought the Sybase code and forked it into MS SQL Server, but both databases continued. Sybase continued as "Sybase" for years after the fork, and still exists as a separate database called SAP Adaptive Server Enterprise. The difference is that Postgres got a SQL front end and was renamed Postgres95, and then PostgreSQL to reflect the change, but it was one project continuing on a direct path. I'd say it's more like calling "Red Hat Enterprise Linux" just "Red Hat." </extra-pedantic> :-P