[ale] semi OT: PCI wireless card weirdness

Boris Borisov bugyatl at gmail.com
Sat May 30 11:31:11 EDT 2015

I've had this card for many years. PCI rtl8185B based wireless adaptor.
Almost never got any luck with making it work under Linux except with some
version of Mandriva years back with driver compiled by me. As expected
there was no problem with any Windows version. Using it with various Linux
distros Live and persistent, kernels from 2.4.x and up to nowdays causes
system to hang up.

And yet, the other day I installed it in one of my boxes just to give it
another try ( I guess too much spare time :) and there it go card work
flawless with the rtl8180 driver from kernel tree. This email I'm writing
under puppy Linux with aforementioned card. No probles whatsoever.

I'm not going to move this card from this particular box and that
particular PCI slot ...

Just sharing ...