[ale] OT - Replacement Gate Remote

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Thu May 21 10:59:30 EDT 2015

I'll have to look them up again but I do recall a report about a small
cluster of robberies many years ago where the burglars had used a
programmable remote to cycle through codes until a garage opened.  It
was rare because the burglar had to have some skill at the time to build
the remote (before widespread Internet access where you could buy it
premade from China).

There was also an issue in one neighborhood near a military base (I
think Navy or Air Force) where the radar system would open all the doors.

I don't deny the profit motive in there, too, of course. :)  But they're
as risk averse as they are profit driven so it's a win for them all the
way around.  I actually have a tiny fob that I use for other projects
which uses the same chip as old door remotes.  It's just got a single
chip (need to look up the number) which has a dozen pins for programming
an address and then 1-4 pins for activating the transmitter.  Runs at
433 MHz like most of these remotes.  I've also got a wireless motion
sensor alarm (think a store entry chime) that does exactly the same
thing, even the same chip.