[ale] (last?) ALE-Central Meeting May 21

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Sun May 17 06:30:41 EDT 2015

On 05/17/2015 06:02 AM, Jim Lynch wrote:

> Likewise, last meeting I attended took me almost 2 hours to get there.  GPS said
> it was 32 miles...  I don't feel good wasting that much time sitting still and
> burning gas.  Virtual meetings would be wonderful.

A live video setup is non-trivial folks. Getting good audio is VERY hard.  Will
someone volunteer to attend **every** meeting to do the A/V stuff?
Or perhaps a company can sponsor the Linux-compatible equipment for ALE to own?
* webcam (talking head part)
* video capture/passthru VGA/HDMI device (presentation screen part)
* microphone(s)
* audio mixer
* assorted cables
It is about $220 (ballpark) at the cheapest. I have some small experience with
this. Maybe Aaron can suggest options too?

BTW - other groups stream using google-hangouts and a single camera to get both
the speaker and presentation. Normally, the presentation cannot be read and
background noise in the venue makes listening painful. Perhaps there is a way to
use hangouts to capture a presentation screen, assuming the presenter is willing?

Or we can go 100% virtual and use a cross-platform conferencing solution. That
normally prevents the big players like webex ... I've used mikogo before - it is
VERY nice - but it isn't cheap. There is a monthly subscription AND it is
licensed to an individual. I do not have a license.

Maybe there are better options?

--
Got Linux? Used on smartphones, tablets, desktop computers, media centers, and
servers by kids, Moms, Dads, grandparents and IT professionals.