[ale] Virtual networks

Dustin Strickland dustin.h.strickland at gmail.com
Tue May 12 12:39:57 EDT 2015

Thanks for the link, however I am already somewhat familiar with
bridging outside the context of virtual interfaces. I already have a
bridge set up for each of the physical eth controllers. Reading back
over my initial post, it looks like I wasn't too clear about what I was
asking.

So, the VLAN I have set up now was created through virt-manager. I would
like to access this from outside the host machine(and away from home),
hence a VPN. From what I can tell about OpenVPN, it requires a bridged
interface. In order to make one for the VLAN I have, I would need to
define the VLAN itself in the interfaces file in order to keep the
bridge from trying to come up before the interface it's bridging
exists(I assume?) which I do not know how to do. Reading about
manually-created VLANs produces curious lines like "iface eth1:200 inet
static" which appear to be bound to a physical interface. Is this what
is going on, and is that necessary for an isolated network?