[ale] 10G networking

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at dsservices.com
Fri May 8 15:13:14 EDT 2015

When I read up on all this recently it appeared to me you could either have the fibre SFP or the copper rj45.

We've run across a couple of servers now that  offer the rj45 on the motherboard for 10 Gb but our Nexxus switch is fibre so we have to have the SFP - We've used the Broadcom HBAs successfully in our Linux systems for connections to that switch.

On at least one Dell server I recently looked at they had various daughter cards for the onboard networking so you could get a choice of all 1 GB RJ45,  or 2 x 1 GB RJ45 + 2 x 10 GB SFP, or 2 x 1 GB RJ45 + 2 x 10 GB RJ45.   From what I read there it appears this is something they're moving to on their PowerEdge line because of differing requirements.