[ale] New hard drive procedure

Michael Trausch mike at trausch.us
Sun Jun 7 04:32:39 EDT 2015

+1.

If you're running a system that "can't" go down under reasonably normal circumstances, have at least two drives and use btrfs on them, set to an appropriate redundancy mode. With weekly or monthly scrubs of the volume, you'll get even earlier warning than SMART monitoring alone, plus your data is recovered on the fly for errors that are spatially related.

I use a four disk setup (4x1TB) with btrfs in double redundancy mode. I've had it catch some instances of silent corruption that wouldn't ever be caught by anything other than probably ZFS, and automatically recover. That's a winner for me. Plus it's insanely flexible, way more so than LVM2. Say goodbye to backup, drive swap, restore and resize. Just swap and resize.

Note well: as with software raid, the processes for planned vs. emergency drive replacement differ. In this case, planned is shrink, swap, grow, rebalance. Emergency is of course swap, rebuild from redundancy. The former is less time-intensive compared to the latter. When you've seen the first scrub reporting recovery occurring on a disk due to media errors and not silent corruption, it's time to replace that drive using the planned procedure before you have to use the emergency one, when possible.

Sent from my iPhone