[ale] LUG survival: was group merger ALE + GA400-Linux

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Wed Jul 15 15:00:33 EDT 2015

On 07/15/2015 12:14 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
> So what ideas do all of you have about expanding demographics and
> raising enthusiasm?

Through meetup we've attracted people of all colors and generations. I strive to
be welcoming to everyone and have cut down on the "wipe that commercial OS" talk
a bunch.  We all know that Macs run best with Linux, right? ;)

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/ten_easy_ways_attract_women_your_free_software_project

and
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Encourage-Women-Linux-HOWTO/x168.html

I've seen a few other girl-centric meetups thrive. RailsGirls
http://railsgirls.com/ is one, but there are many others.

Free Beer is good.  The closest I've seen is a brewpub in Marietta offering a
meeting place.

Kids don't use email. They tweet AT each other and write on walls - whatever
that means.

BTW, there is an IRC channel for #ale - come on out!