[ale] Best Self-Hosted Cloud Solutions

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Fri Jul 10 14:31:49 EDT 2015

I use OC strictly for file sync.
I host my own email, so any other function is irrelevant to me.
-jt

On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 02:13:03PM -0400, James Taylor wrote:
> I've been running owncloud on SUSE for quite a while.
> I have clients running on linux mac and android, and they sync flawlessly.
> I'm working on bring up an OC 8 server using ldap auth against my corporate tree, and so far it is working in testing.
> Just need to clean up some attribute mapping.
> I had tried OC a few years back, and had problems, but the latest versions have been great.

I actually just gave up on OwnCloud.  But then I didn't use it for file
synchronization -- I mainly cared about its calendaring and contact
management (via CalDAV and CardDAV) features.

Over the past few major releases, performance and reliability for PIM
functionality has suffered, and even when using the OC packages, minor
updates often went sideways for me, requiring manual intervention.

Anyway.  I'm not back to using HORDE, which is better in every way for
what I care about, plus has the added bonus of native email integration
that OC lacks.

Just my $0.02.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy        		       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Delray Beach, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^

If this is an unsolicited spam message, please click this link to report it: http://control.eastcobbgroup.com:49285/contents/spamreport.shtml?rptid=73842&srvid=16vl15t