[ale] Routing and failovers

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 11:26:33 EDT 2015

I think bonding _is_ your solution. You have multiple ways of handling
the joined connection and one way is failover. No traffic goes down
your failover pipe except for the test packets to check status until
the primary fails. You will still want to tweak some iptables to drop
traffic that would overload the skinny backup line, i.e., specific
systems can send out if primary goes down but general web stuff is
banned from backup line.
On Thu, 2015-07-09 at 07:19 -0700, Alex Carver wrote:
> No, bonding wouldn't work in this case because I don't want to share
> the
> bandwidth of the two connections.  I want them to remain independent
> using only the DSL link for all traffic unless the DSL link fails and
> then a subset of traffic would go to the backup link.  If the DSL
> link
> is working the backup link ideally should never see a single packet.
>
> On 2015-07-09 06:30, Sergio Chaves wrote:
> > Wouldn't Network Bonding work for you? Check the active-backup
> > setup.
> > http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/BondingInterfaces
> >

> > On Thu, Jul 9, 2015 at 12:05 AM, Alex Carver <
> > agcarver+ale at acarver.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Anyone have experience setting up dual WANs for failover (my
> > > guess is
> > > there's a couple of you or I wouldn't really email the list ;) ).
> > >
> > > I'm thinking about putting in a cellular modem at home to act as
> > > secondary/backup WAN link for critical functions (alert emails,
> > > security
> > > system access) in case the primary WAN (DSL) drops.  I don't want
> > > traffic going over that link unless the DSL is dead so this is a
> > > true
> > > failover rather than a load balance (or I suppose it's a load
> > > balance
> > > with a ratio of infinity weighted towards the DSL)
> > >
> > > My first thought was to use something like a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter
> > > Lite
> > > (maybe need to go to the EdgeRouter 8, not sure) with two WANs
> > > configured and then the NAT and public assignments behind the
> > > third
> > > port.  It appears EdgeOS can do two WANs but it's not clear from
> > > what
> > > I've been able to dig up so I wanted to find out if there are
> > > other/better options or suggestions.

James P. Kinney III

own tail. It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain