[ale] Cluster software for Raspberry Pi?

Ed Cashin ecashin at noserose.net
Thu Jul 2 08:07:45 EDT 2015

On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 6:57 PM Raj Wurttemberg <rajaw at c64.us> wrote:

> I'm building a four-node cluster but I am unsure of what cluster software I
> should use.  I will have NFS storage for a quorum if needed.

It depends a lot on why you find this interesting.  When I mess with this,
I'm generally interested in fault tolerance as well as the potential to
scale out an application.

So I noticed that there are two really important primitives for building
fault-tolerant distributed systems.  You don't always need both, but
knowing what they are helps in designing systems.

  * Consensus - Here the whole cluster appears to have a single, shared
view about some fact.

  * Eventual consistency - Here the cluster generally agrees, or will soon.

There are two easy to use and fault-tolerant high-level technologies that
work on Raspberry Pi.

  * etcd for consensus
  https://github.com/coreos/etcd/blob/master/README.md

  * serf for gossip
  https://www.serfdom.io/

NICs... Would I need a USB NIC for the cluster communication?

I didn't:

https://edcashin.wordpress.com/2013/12/29/trying-etcd-on-android-mac-and-raspberry-pi/

... but it probably depends on your motivation and interests.

Please share your experiences, anyway.  It sounds interesting.