[ale] ALE-* dying?

Jim Kinney jkinney at jimkinney.us
Fri Jan 2 15:05:02 EST 2015

Sounds good but the details are the challenging part.

We have a jobs mailing list. Its been rather slow lately. There's talk (again) of ramping up a cert study group.

Hard to compete with Netflix, Facebook, YouTube, and age. Most alers now have 15+ years on Linux as pro's and don't need/have time for certs. Most also developed other interests.

The one cert that will get it's holder a job is RHCE.  LPI is sadly irrelevant in the US. Not totally useless, but far, far lower status than the RHCE in many employment situations over the years. Maybe Ubuntu will create a cert program. Or Oracle.

On January 2, 2015 2:40:33 PM EST, Michael Brodeur <mikejoebro at yahoo.com> wrote:
>I've mentioned this before, but I think the group needs to expand
>beyond a hobbyist base. If we start focusing more on helping Linux
>users get certified and get jobs, that may help mitigate dwindling
>numbers.
>
>Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Jan 2, 2015, at 11:55 AM, Leam Hall <leamhall at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Want an outsiders opinion?
>>
>> Whether or not ALE meetings continue I personally find the mailing
>list very useful. It's my "go to" resource for linux stuff that isn't
>distro specific or when I want an educated but diverse set of opinions.
>>
>> The question every organization; be it business, government, or
>social, must answer is "why do we exist?". The answer changes, often
>faster than the organization. Some orgs die, some linger on, and a few
>actually manage to grow through change.
>>
>> There have always been lower grade admins. The same goes for
>programmers, "business analysts", writers, educators, etc. There are
>lots of needs out there; slow websites, where to find the best hosting
>package, open source project needs devs/testers/docs, small office
>networking, the list goes on.
>>
>> For a group of people who help others succeed, the members need
>chances to help and time to grow themselves. So my recommendation would
>be to take a group look at the options, figure out what is fun for you,
>and start moving in that direction.
>>
>> Leam
>>
>> --
>> http://31challenge.net