[ale] DRBD - anyone using this?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 11:09:54 EST 2015

On Fri, 2015-02-20 at 10:56 -0500, Chuck Payne wrote:
> We are using where I work for 4 clusters each made of two nodes.  As
> Jim stated it not a back up, it so that your data is synced at the
> same time. We have the systems flip and are very happy because the
> data was in sync.  We are working with Linbit the people that wrote
> drbd because unless you know someone that a master a pacemaker,
> corosync, and ipmi. Then you will have issues. Our issues the size of
> DB, we are work with them to get STONITH setup.
>

> DRBD great for DB and Website. I don't recommend NFS. I did testing
> and there are issues.

I've used DRBD with NFS and some custom stonith scripts to make a
redundant fileserver pair. I did not set it up. It did work rather well
as long as when the dead box was brought up it was done so by someone
who knew how to do it.Basically, if box A was master and B was backup,
if A went down, B took over just fine. But when A came back up it did so
thinking it was still master. That meant new file changes were not going
to get synched over from B. So we had to bring it up with network
disconnected, change a config file to make it a backup box then restart
it. Once synched, A & B were both reset to be as original master and
backup. It worked but was rather cludgy.