[ale] CPU without VT-x and which virtualization kvm/VirtualBox

DJ-Pfulio djpfulio at jdpfu.com
Tue Feb 17 12:56:36 EST 2015

Virtualbox should work on the core2duo - provided there is enough RAM and you
properly tune the host and guestOS settings (like my many virtualbox
presentations suggest). A C2D E6600 was the first CPU that really did justice to
virtualization, IMHO. 90-95% of native speed (non-graphics) really did work.
http://blog.jdpfu.com/slowVbox

LXC is another option on pretty much any modern Linux - including netbooks.
http://blog.jdpfu.com/2014/10/21/fast-and-easy-lxc-deployment-for-development
Forget virtualbox on the netbook unless it has a Haswell or better CPU, but feel
free to try it, if you like. A chromebook with Celeron Haswell does KVM fine (it
has VT-x), except 2G of RAM really isn't enough to be useful AND run a lite
desktop AND run a small VM AND share video RAM.