[ale] creating an init.d script

Todor Fassl fassl.tod at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 11:13:00 EST 2015

My department runs a FlexLM license server for 2 mathematical programs,
maple and matlab. I want to write some init.d scripts to restart the
license server instances if we reboot the license server. Right now, I
have to login and type the command. I can easily put it in a script but
I want to do it right.

I googled for examples but they all seem so complicated. I tried copying
an existing script and modifying it (apprort) but after spending, I
dunno, 10 minutes or so modifying it, I found it wasn't suitable as an
example.

What's a good generic init.d script to start with? Any good tutorials
you are aware of? I don't want to spend all day learning how to write
lsb scripts. An hour or 2 maybe but not all day. If I can't learn how to
do it right in an hour or so, I'm just going to quick-and-dirty it.