[ale] Desktop 32GB of RAM

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Wed Aug 19 13:34:29 EDT 2015

On 08/19/2015 01:19 PM, Chris Fowler wrote:
>> From: "DJ-Pfulio" <djpfulio at jdpfu.com> To: ale at ale.org Sent:
>> Wednesday, August 19, 2015 12:11:30 PM Subject: Re: [ale] Desktop
>> 32GB of RAM
>
>> On 08/19/2015 11:26 AM, Chris Fowler wrote:
>>> I even have a RH 8.0 tree we still maintain code on!
>
>> Daily or just as-needed?
> Just as needed.
>
>> I'd move these things to lxc or docker, package the environment up
>> and push it off to some cheap storage (3 copies for safety) and
>> forget about it until needed again.
>
> The system it is on runs FC2 and is 12 years old. Again, I have
> scripts that will chroot into RH 8.0. This works well. I have many
> backups too.
>
>> Virtualization is the best thing for being able to maintain old dev
>> environments without sucking current dev effort until necessary.
>> Plus, you can bill the client extra for staying on that old stuff
>> for storage, thaw and freeze of their specific environments as a
>> way to encourage them to move forward. ;) Eventually, cost will get
>> them to switch or you'll be paid for the extra hassle. win-win.
>
> The benefit of VM for dev on my desktop would be to have a separate
> IP and be able to run a few things if I require. In my "lab" I have
> my device that I load our software on via http. The initrd image sees
> a config file on the flash and will wget the software package, check
> it for errors, decrypt it, and write it do /dev/ram1. That is a
> cramfs RO fs. Using unionfs I then merge some RW space and pivot_root
> those as /.
>
> In the chroot environment I need to copy the package file out of that
> and into the html root of my desktop. I use scp. scp package
> cfowler at 127.0.0.1:/dest. Just part of a build script that will
> automate a small build, upload to web server, ssh over to my device
> and restart. Device boots, loads package via http into /, and starts
> init!
>
> Another benefit of VM is that I can test pure 64 and pure 32
> environments (no environments with both 32 and x86_64
> libraries/programs).

Sounds like a thing of beauty!  Wanna give a talk?

I use VMs heavily and have been looking for reasons to use LXC in this
environment. Needing a different kernel precludes that option and a VM
is needed.

BTW - Dell is having a 50% off sale for refurb systems tomorrow (or is
it today?) for laptops and desktops.
http://bensbargains.com/bargain/50-off-laptops-299-or-more-free-shipping-at-dell-financial-services-151546/

Can get a decent Core i5 laptop for $250-ish (8G RAM, 900p resolution,
TPM ), assuming I'm reading this correctly.