[ale] Desktop 32GB of RAM

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Wed Aug 19 13:19:21 EDT 2015

Just as needed.

> I'd move these things to lxc or docker, package the environment up and push it
> off to some cheap storage (3 copies for safety) and forget about it until needed
> again.

The system it is on runs FC2 and is 12 years old. Again, I have scripts that will chroot into RH 8.0. This works well. I have many backups too.

> Virtualization is the best thing for being able to maintain old dev environments
> without sucking current dev effort until necessary. Plus, you can bill the
> client extra for staying on that old stuff for storage, thaw and freeze of their
> specific environments as a way to encourage them to move forward. ;)
> Eventually, cost will get them to switch or you'll be paid for the extra hassle.
> win-win.

The benefit of VM for dev on my desktop would be to have a separate IP and be able to run a few things if I require. In my "lab" I have my device that I load our software on via http. The initrd image sees a config file on the flash and will wget the software package, check it for errors, decrypt it, and write it do /dev/ram1. That is a cramfs RO fs. Using unionfs I then merge some RW space and pivot_root those as /.

In the chroot environment I need to copy the package file out of that and into the html root of my desktop. I use scp. scp package cfowler at 127.0.0.1:/dest. Just part of a build script that will automate a small build, upload to web server, ssh over to my device and restart. Device boots, loads package via http into /, and starts init!

Another benefit of VM is that I can test pure 64 and pure 32 environments (no environments with both 32 and x86_64 libraries/programs).