[ale] Ruby vs C, a non-technical chat

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Wed Aug 5 23:44:19 EDT 2015

On Wed, 2015-08-05 at 12:45 -0400, DJ-Pfulio wrote:
> RoR work is also highly sought these days.
I don't know for the life of me why.  A server system written in C or
C++ runs just as fast and if written correctly consumes far less
resources.  And such programmers seem to actually care about upgrades
working without a problem.  After fighting with several Rails apps over
problems such as runaway resource consumption and the inability to
perform upgrades as per directions supplied by the programmer, I gave
up on allowing that crap on my infrastructure a long time ago.
For my money, I'd rather people write software in computer programming
languages where all of the corner cases and undefined circumstances are
well-understood; using C++ and multiple inheritance is just as easy as
Java and interfaces, and far easier than Python or Ruby with its
meta/eigenclass mechanisms.
Don't get me wrong: they have their purposes.  The right tool for the
job just looks different to me than the next generation, I suppose.  I
like seeing correct code that uses only as much memory as needed to get
the job done efficiently, and no more.  There is no need for a stock
application that hasn't any data to manage (yet) to consume 300 MB
after settling—that's just insane.
Or, put another way, I prefer using high-level scripting languages for
prototyping, programmer-oriented automation, and application extension
and automation, and not for the core logic in any system.  If I
couldn't handle using git+ssh directly, instead of ever looking to
GitLab or anything similar, I'd spend the couple of weeks needed to
write a lightweight C++ server to provide the API and manage the git
SSH account, and a PHP front-end that uses the API and acts as little
more than a user interface.
To me, that's the way it should be.