[ale] Ruby vs C, a non-technical chat

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Wed Aug 5 12:45:38 EDT 2015

> Any ideas on how to leverage a Linux and large datacenter centric career
> into something with non-C coding?

Puppet is based on Ruby. So is Chef.  So - you could move into a DevOps
direction and actually increase your salary. Puppet knowledge is highly
in-demand around the world.

The ruby group in metro ATL is F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C!  They will teach a RoR
class beginning in a few weeks that meets every other Saturday.  The
main guy teaching, Alan, is great!  There are also Puppet, Chef and
Ansible groups in the metro area.

Hang out with people who are like you want to become.  The Chef guys are
great and there is an Ansible meeting shortly (check our meetup calendar).

You definitely have options.  Of course, if you want to be a web-app
developer, RoR work is also highly sought these days.