[ale] Ruby vs C, a non-technical chat

leam hall leamhall at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 11:27:26 EDT 2015

I'm waiting on a server to come up, so felt free to chat.   :)

My work is at the OS level; I do Linux on a daily basis. However, I like to
program and would like to move my career in that direction. A lot of the
Coursera and EdX deep classes require C or Java (yuck!) for things like
algorithms.

I passed a C class a couple decades ago and can nominally read it. Lately
I've been programming Ruby. As much as I disparaged it before, I'm starting
to find Ruby fun. Just, well, fun. C is powerful, but I didn't have as much
fun with it or Python. Haven't had this much fun coding since PHP.

Maybe I'm a sucker for languages OS people disdain? The only real issue is
that I'd like to start moving my career this way but I'm old enough and
experienced enough to know that a salary comparable job based on my meager
coding skills would be difficult.

Any ideas on how to leverage a Linux and large datacenter centric career
into something with non-C coding?

Leam

--
Mind on a Mission <http://leamhall.blogspot.com/>