[ale] can't install windows on ST3000DM001

Paul Cartwright pbcartwright at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 06:44:34 EDT 2015

On 08/04/2015 06:21 AM, DJ-Pfulio wrote:
> Every PC that came with Win8 has UEFI. That was mandated by MSFT.
>
> On my single system with UEFI, "legacy BIOS" is a setting, not "UEFI."
yes, there was a toggle for legacy vs UEFI on her windows 8.1 laptop. I
forget why I was messing with it now...

> I can't speak for any other distro, but Ubuntu recognizes UEFI and will deal
> with the partitioning as needed. Dual boot really does suck.
>
> It has been so long since the OP, I don't remember the details anymore.  The
> title is helping - you should still replace that HDD. ;)
my best guess is I need to replace that with a "GOOD" 2TB or less drive?
maybe a green WD 2TB drive?? really, all that is on that drive are empty
partitions & backup partitions.. I have a 900GB partition for photos
that I haven't migrated the photos to yet, a 900GB backup partition that
has some fedors"/" backups and a clonezilla backup of both "/" and
/home, and a 700GB partition that has the 450GB of my old Windows 7
install, that will not boot.. I copied everything from windows on the
defective drive, then unplugged it.

I could hook that 3TB drive up as an external if I really need to get
anything from it..
maybe that drive is what is causing my boot issues, after a kernel
update.. every time after a kernel update, if I don't do the
grub2-mkconfig & grub2-install /dev/sda when I reboot, I get a bouncing
cursor & no grub menu.. then I have to run boot-repair, and even though
I tell it sdb is NOT removeable, it only give me a grub menu with
windows 7 choice ( which won't boot) and ubuntu installed on /dev/sdb1 ,
it doesn't add fedora installed on /dev/sdb5(fedora 21) & sdb6(fedora
22).. really weird..

--
Paul Cartwright