[ale] SSD as /

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Mon Apr 27 10:43:51 EDT 2015

On 2015-04-27 05:15, Boris Borisov wrote:
> So far I got few thing on internet:
>
> 1. Bigger SD would help with life of SD because new blocks will be written
> on empty space. Wear leveling. No info on little detail - what is better
> 200 MB partition and rest empty space or big 8GB taking all the free space
> partition;

Doesn't matter, the wear leveling is independent of the partitioning
since it occurs at a lower level than a partition.

> 2. Logs in tmpfs - maybe I need to take Puppy Linux approach writing on
> flash device every 5 min;

If it's an access point, why bother?  OpenWRT doesn't log permanently,
it just logs to tmpfs and that's it.  If you want a longer term storage
skip the SD card and remote log to another machine.  Most syslog daemons
will send the logs to a remote daemon.

> 3. Removing journal from ext3 ext4 partition - less writes, why not use
> ext2 instead;

The I/O performance of ext4 is somewhat better than ext2 but disabling
journaling is a good idea for a flash device.