[ale] Duplicity very slow

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 09:53:22 EDT 2015

Try it to another internal volume or across your network. After discovering
my oversight yesterday, I ran a backup to pickup the missed data. This was
the result:

````
Import of duplicity.backends.dpbxbackend Failed: No module named dropbox
Reading globbing filelist ./excludes
Local and Remote metadata are synchronized, no sync needed.
Last full backup date: Wed Apr 15 15:18:59 2015
--------------[ Backup Statistics ]--------------
StartTime 1429648992.82 (Tue Apr 21 16:43:12 2015)
EndTime 1429649857.73 (Tue Apr 21 16:57:37 2015)
ElapsedTime 864.91 (14 minutes 24.91 seconds)
SourceFiles 192730
SourceFileSize 9120190895 (8.49 GB)
NewFiles 112321
NewFileSize 6508225863 (6.06 GB)
DeletedFiles 4
ChangedFiles 8
ChangedFileSize 13665 (13.3 KB)
ChangedDeltaSize 0 (0 bytes)
DeltaEntries 112333
RawDeltaSize 6410062775 (5.97 GB)
TotalDestinationSizeChange 4983679911 (4.64 GB)
Errors 0
````

Notice that I added almost 6GB to my backup set and it only took 14.5
minutes to run the backup. This is from a VM to a physical server across my
network via CIFS.

Duplicity will use the bandwidth available to it. Unless you renice it,
duplicity runs full tilt and will impact performance until it is done.
There's something else going on with your setup.

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 8:36 AM, Edward Holcroft <eholcroft at mkainc.com>
wrote:

> I tested this on my production box with all the identical pieces of kit. A
> full rsync of the 1.5 TB or so of data on this server takes maybe 10 -11
> hours. A full backup using Duplicity to the same USB drive on the same
> server was less than half that - I gave up on 26% after some 16 hours. I'd
> expect some added overhead for the encrypting and tarring that's going on,
> but this is nuts. I have to be doign something wrong or nobody would be
> using duplicity. Here's the command I use, which is pretty stock as far as
> I know:
>
> duplicity /data --exclude /data/ret --exclude /data/rsynclogs
> file:///mnt/daily/MONDAY >> /data/rsynclogs/daily-`date +%Y%m%d_%H%M%S`.log
>
> I also tried with --no-encyrption and dropped the logging with no
> noticeable difference.
>
> ed
>
> --
James Sumners