[ale] Fought Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu 14.10 (resolved)

Jim Kinney jkinney at jimkinney.us
Fri Apr 10 19:22:52 EDT 2015

There's a magic block windows writes to the drive that can't be moved. If you run the defrag tool, it shows up as immovable green stripes. Where those get written is variable but based on something that happens in the install that is computed from ram, hard drive and CPU params. XP used to write them at the end of the drive which blocked any other use of the drive. If gparted moves a boundary past those blocks, windows will puke. There are tools in windows that can shrink a partition and move the blocks if needed.