[ale] little rant

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Wed Apr 1 15:55:56 EDT 2015

It isn't just Exchange.
Zimbra used to require 1G of RAM.
Then 1.5G
Then 2G
now the current release has 8G as the minimum required (not true, but ...)

Back in the olden days, supported hardware was very restricted for Linux. When
you only support 5 pieces of hardware, being smaller is easier.

I'm not trying to say that current OSes aren't bloated, just that it matters
less and less as cheap HW is available.  SW dev time is much more expensive than
HW at this level - unless the device is consumer and has 20M installations. I've
done some similar math and found it frustrating how expensive bad software can be.