[ale] Something faster than X-Windows but more secure than VNC server?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 15:02:25 EDT 2014

If both ends are *nix, look at X2GO. It's an easier freenx than, um,
freenx. good for single connections. Not tabbed like remmina. (doesn't
crash as often as remmina either :-)

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 1:43 PM, Jim Kinney <jkinney at jimkinney.us> wrote:

> Freenx. Uses a ssh tunnel by default and is at least one, if not two
> orders of magnitude faster than vnc. Think usable X desktop over dialup.
>
> On September 30, 2014 1:39:36 PM EDT, "Lightner, Jeff" <
> JLightner at dsservices.com> wrote:
>
>>  Basic question:
>>
>> Can anyone suggest something faster than X-Windows but more secure than
>> VNC server?
>>

>> Details:
>>
>> We have applications that run as X applications.   The vendor is used to
>> running this in VNC Server but that isn’t very secure.
>>

>> We instead gave X access on MS-Windows desktops using Exceed or Cygwin/X
>> and the applications are exported back to the users’ desktop.   Since we’re
>> doing this via ssh X tunneling it is encrypted.
>>

>> The users continually complain that this is too slow for their needs.
>> We did initially give a single VPN session access to a remote consultant
>> using VNC because it was clearly too slow going over the multiple hops it
>> took to him in Pennsylvania.
>>

>> Now I’m being asked to either turn on VNC Server for the users to access
>> internally or propose an alternative solution.
>>

>> Is there such a thing as a host based service like VNC Server but that
>> makes an encrypted connection to the users’ desktop so that only the
>> display is being sent encrypted rather than having to draw on the desktop.
>> Is there a way to make the VNC connection encrypted?
>>

>> *Jeffrey C. Lightner*
>>
>> *Sr. UNIX Administrator*
>>

>> DS Services of America, Inc.
>>
>> 5660 New Northside Drive NW
>>
>> Suite *250*
>>
>> Atlanta, GA  30328
>>

>> P: *678-486-3516 <678-486-3516>*
>>
>>  C: *678-772-0018 <678-772-0018>*
>>
>> F: *678-460-3603 <678-460-3603>*
>>
>> E: *jlightner at dsservices.com <jlightner at dsservices.com>*
>>

>> Athena®, Created for the Cause™
>>
>> Making a Difference in the Fight Against Breast Cancer

>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail may contain privileged
>>
>> or confidential information and is for the sole use of the intended
>>
>> recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure,
>>
>> copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this information
>>
>> is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this electronic
>>
>> transmission in error, please reply immediately to the sender that
>>
>> you have received the message in error, and delete it. Thank you.

> Jim Kinney
> Linux Systems Analyst
> Physicist/Brewer
> http://jimkinney.us

James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

*http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
<http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/>*