[ale] power

Bob Toxen transam at VerySecureLinux.com
Tue Sep 9 20:58:51 EDT 2014

I'm VERY surprised that Emory botched this.

If two substations are supplying redundant power to a large facility
(such as one I consulted at years ago), this should not happen!
Methinks someone screwed up.  Operating rooms and computerized surgery
devices really should have a working UPS and automatic backup
generators!

If Emory can't get that right, I worry that they cant get Ebola
containment right either.

At home I have a $1000 Yamaha model 2400 (2000 watt) gasoline generator
that drives a relay I rigged.  The relay switches my office UPSes to the
generator when the generator is running.  I have about 7-10 minutes to
start the generator on a power failure.

On an extended power failure (none since the generator) it can also
power either the fridge or room air conditioner or I can wire it to
power my gas heater blower.  I siphon gas from my cars for long outages
if necessary.

For lots more money and more noise an automatic whole-house generater
fed from the natural gas mains can be had.

Bob Toxen
http://www.verysecurelinux.com        [Network&Linux security consulting]
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com [My book:"Real World Linux Security 2/e"]
Quality spam and virus filters.