[ale] power

Paul Cartwright pbcartwright at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 13:41:31 EDT 2014

On 09/08/2014 01:20 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> Had a power blink that hit the entire campus, hospital, everything at
> Emory. Operating rooms went dark for about 10 seconds then it all came
> back.
>
> There are at least 2 substations that power Emory. The hospital is SUPPOSED
> to be power-outage proof (thus MY concerns for the ebola work!).
>
> What power outage gear is being used at home by ALE? At work by ALE people?
> Apparently the datacenter here stayed up. But the power outage in the
> operating rooms occured while surgery was ongoing including brain surgery
> with a computer-controlled microscope.
having worked for AT&Tm I know they have power backup generators, I
trained on them.. the turbines are neat! I thought all hospitals had
generator backups.. they might be on a 10 second delay, just to MAKE
SURE there is an outtage..
at home, I have APC UPSes in front of everything electronic.. in
Georgia, you are crazy not to have one.
I lost my power once, but still had telephone (DSL) so my laptop kept me
connected to work for an hour... I unplugged everything else from the
UPS battery, except for the modem, and my laptop had it's own power..
worked in the dark for over an hour while they fixed the power.

--
Paul Cartwright