[ale] OT(ish) Sold or stolen?

David Millians millia at panix.com
Thu Sep 4 11:02:14 EDT 2014

On 9/4/2014 2:21 AM, Alex Carver wrote:
> In the two plus years that I used that particular address with them I've
> never received an email from anyone outside of AT&T that was any form of
> marketing pitch.  The only emails that particular address has ever seen
> were billing messages (statement ready for viewing, bill reminders,
> etc.) direct from AT&T.  Nor have I ever seen an attempt in the logs to
> try and send to that address.  So it's really a case of them leaking it
> out.  I'll won't know for sure if they simply violated their TOS because
> they felt like it or if someone broke in.  I can only wait and see what
> happens with the new address.

Personally, I would say that after, say, a month of no results has
happened, I'd call their executive level ombudsman. TOS means lawyers;
lawyers means lawsuits, and class action lawsuits are pesky. And
violating TOS means you can break contracts, too. That'd be a lovely
loophole for people to use. All of the above means somebody up top needs
to know about it. Neither option is good.

Barring that, I'd take it to consumerist. The rock and a hard place
aspect of this would be great fun for them, I'm sure.