[ale] rsync filtering

Preston preston.lists at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 12:36:39 EDT 2014

Hey folks,

I have two servers that I'm dealing with and I'm hoping someone has a
more elegant way of doing this.

The directory layouts are basically like this:

[SmallerServer1]                         [LargerServer2]
Directory                                        Directory
Directory                                        Directory
Directory                                        Directory
Directory                                        Directory
Directory                                        Directory
Directory                                        Directory
Directory                                        Directory
                                                      ImImportant
                                                      ImImportantToo

My rsync job looks like so:

rsync -rhavzX --progress --delete --filter='-p .DS_Store'
--filter=-r_ImImportant --filter=-r_ImImportantToo
--log-file="/home/pboyington/rsync/rsync.log" --exclude-from
/home/pboyington/rsync/rsync-exclude  /media/md0/FileServer/
pboyington at LargerServer2:/media/md0/FileServer

My exclude file handles all the ".tmp, .TMP, $RECYCLE.BIN, Thumbs.db,
*~*" stuff on the sending side, but is there a similar way to list
directories on the receiving side?  As you can see, I'm doing it with
the "--filter=-r_" option now, but if there is a better way I'd like to
know.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Preston

--
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
-Dr. Seuss