[ale] For Sale: 1U Xeon E3-1220 at 3.1GHz/16GB/2x1TB HDD - make offer

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Thu Nov 20 12:05:45 EST 2014

Hi guys,

I have a 1U server that I don't utilize anywhere close to ideally, and I
am broke and have to liquidate it.

I paid like $1200 for the thing in April.  Make me an offer.  It is
available at
http://www.serversdirect.com/Servers/Rackmount/id-4529/SD-RTS1U1P-003
brand new for $995 today, and the specs shown there match the one I have.

Specs as provided by Linux (cpuinfo, drive list, dmesg boot log, and
lscpu output) are available at:
http://www.fortifiedtechsystems.com/static/specs.tar.gz

Overview:

  * Quad Core Intel Xeon E3-1220 V2 CPU, clocked at 3.1 GHz (CPU fam 6,
    step 9, model 58)
  * 16 GB RAM
  * Two ethernet interfaces
  * Runs Fedora 20 wonderfully.  Runs CentOS 6.  Should run CentOS 7
    without issue.
  * I've used this system to run virtual machines on.  They're virtually
    always idle.  I haven't even used three of the four VMs running on
    the system in > 6 months.  The one I do use is a simple server that
    I'm going to move off-LAN if the server sells.
  * Load average is nearly always < 0.1.  That's how little I use it.
  * It works wonderful under stress test loads.  Gets loud when properly
    utilized.  Sounds like a jet at boot and under heavy load.  Not
    something you want in the corner of your living room.  :-)

So, if anyone wants it, make me an offer.  First reasonable offer who's
willing to pick it up gets it.  Only caveat is that I will need enough
time to move one VM off the system and wipe it before turning it over,
so I'll need about two days time for the system to be ready for pickup,
if I don't have a chance to get to it before it's actually "sold".

If I don't get any bites here after a week, I'll likely list it locally
on CL.

I'll post a follow-up if/when it sells.  Please contact off-list so we
don't clog everyone's pipes.

    — Mike