[ale] movie files to convert to mp4 format ideas ?

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Mon Nov 17 07:57:07 EST 2014

On 11/17/2014 12:16 AM, Narahari 'n' Savitha wrote:
> Friends:
>
> I have a drive which is NTFS containing movies that I have ripped (some as avi,
> some as mpeg some as iso)
>
> What is the best way to make it android compatible so kids can watch on the road ?
>
> Commandline options is what I am looking for so it is scriptable.
>
> Regards,

So - android prefers lower quality h.264/aac/mp4.
For SD resolutions, any player will probably work with android devices made in
the last 3 yrs - no need to convert, just load up 1 of the 50 media players that
isn't from google and will do software decoding.

Transcoding is always bad.

For HiDef resolutions, you really need to make the h.264/aac/mp4 that the GPU
will decode using hardware - avidemux and Handbrake will do this with a GUI,
then you can use the HandbrakeCLI with a saved profile (they have some for iPod,
iPhone, i-pad), which generally work fine with Android devices too.

You can use ffmpeg, but getting the options just right for every sort of video
is a hassle. I used ffmpeg for years, scripted, before switching to "constant
quality" and handbrakeCLI. RTFM.

Hope that helps.