[ale] Difficulty of philosophy changes

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Sat Nov 15 10:20:39 EST 2014

2x$450 Core i7 boxes will go a VERY long way towards building a lab.
* Not power sucking ... er ... too much
* Not noisy like "server" hardware
* Easily upgraded, since these are desktop systems
* $900 total (one-time) is cheaper than $20/month linodes plus these will have
enough CPU/RAM to support 30+ VMs easily (or 60+ LXC instances).

You can learn a bunch with 10 VMs - not much more with 100, just sayin'.

Puppet - eewwwww.  Ansible, but that is personal preference.

For those people claiming my idea of cheap electrical power is off .... I have 6
running systems here - 24/7 for the last 7+ yrs and I'm staring at the November
GA Power bill - $72.53. I think each of those costs $1-$2 a month to run,
including the networking, VoIP, monitors and disk arrays. The household power
bill without computers is about $60/month (when no A/C is needed).

Personally, I won't touch used servers. They are power sucking, heat generating,
noise makers.  Any "server" over 3 yrs old needs to be recycled, IMHO. The
power, noise, heat profile has changed tremendously in recent years.

And last time I looked a few years ago, one, introductory, EC2 micro instance
was free for the first year.

For really cheap VPSes, ChicagoVPS seems popular with the DC404 crowd. I suspect
those are probably LXC instances, not even openvz or paravirtual Xen. Know what
you are getting, so you aren't disappointed.