[ale] Difficulty of philosophy changes

chip chip.gwyn at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 09:38:54 EST 2014

Take a look at Cloud at Cost.  There's not a "pay only when up option" but
it's cheap enough that it's not an issue.  There are $1/month options
even.  Granted the infrastructure is massively over provisioned VMware but
for learning and testing its great.  I wouldn't run a business site on
there, but a personal site and a gitlab server it's perfect.

If you want something a bit more beefy and local check out vultr.com, IPv6
support even.

--chip

PS, if you're feeling generous throw me a referral as you sign up.

chip (at) fluidgravity.com for cloud at cost
or
http://www.vultr.com/?ref=6805788 for vultr

On Saturday, November 15, 2014, Leam Hall <leamhall at gmail.com
<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','leamhall at gmail.com');>> wrote:

> I've been working on changing my philosophy for a while now, and it's
> rough. Moving from "must hand do everything" to learning Puppet. Accepting
> that a perfectly tuned platform tomorrow is less useful than a functional
> one today.
>
> My next hurdle is moving personal development platforms off my personal
> hardware. It's been nice to have stuff running on my own laptop but at the
> same time the hardware is old, the OS is old (but duplicates work OS), and
> I'm getting old. I don't want to have to rebuild everything when the disk
> takes a dive.
>
> Yeah, I have backups. But everything slows to a crawl when I have to
> restore to get everything done, and then to find the one bit I forgot to
> backup.
>
> Any good recommendations for small instance cloud providers? I know AWS
> and Rackspace but have not paid attention to others yet. My goal is to spin
> up servers, learn Puppet and stuff, and spin them down. Only paying for
> uptime. RAM and disk needs are pretty minimal. However, even an AWS micro
> instance is ~$60/month if you forget that you have it and forget that it's
> on...
>
> So, I could use a place to play that's not on my old hardware. Thoughts?
>
> Leam
> --
> http://31challenge.net
> http://31challenge.net/insight

Just my $.02, your mileage may vary,  batteries not included, etc....