[ale] hacking the Acer chromebook 13

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 14:55:28 EST 2014

Running the default chromeos it sat unplugged for an entire 8 hour day with
me putzing around with it nearly non-stop. Still have a around 50% power
life left when I plugged it up at home.

You can plug in a USB3 device for extra storage. It comes with an extra
free (for 2 years) 100GB on google drive.

If I can get Linux running natively, there will be a how-to talk at ALE.

On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 2:28 PM, Ted W. <ted-lists at xy0.org> wrote:

> On 11/07/2014 02:12 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
>
>> ah ha! crouton has been updated in the last 48 hours!
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 1:42 PM, Ted W. <ted-lists at xy0.org> wrote:
>>
>>  No Crouton? https://github.com/dnschneid/crouton
>>>
>>> Some discussion floating around the github "issues" say it works fine
>>> assuming you got the CB5 model (which it sounds like it is from your
>>> description).
>>>

> Please let us know how it goes. If the battery life is reasonable and
> storage isn't a problem (with some sane form of external storage I assume)
> I might look at picking one of these up to replace this old X61 I've been
> using. Though I love the thing to death, 1024x768 just isn't cutting it for
> web surfing any more.
>

> --
> Ted W. <ted at xy0.org>

James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

*http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
<http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/>*