[ale] changes to fstab in fedora 20

Paul Cartwright pbcartwright at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 20:15:52 EDT 2014

On 03/11/2014 05:53 PM, Scott Castaline wrote:
> That's the way I've always have done it in the past, but up through f
> 19 fstab did not go through systemd. The change seems to be in F 20 as
> fstab now has references to systemd. I have tried using formats from
> the past in the lines of volumes that I added in fstab,but it won't
> work. I know with services you now use systemctl <command>
> <servicename> on systems with systemd. From what I can tell you need
> to do something similar and can't just add a line in fstab. What I
> can't seem to find is what this new/extra step(s) is/are. Everything
> just seems to go into an endless loop. (No pun intended, maybe?!?!). I
> did notice that the way the installer does it in F 20 is to create the
> LVM containers first pvcreate and vgcreate before creating the LUKS
> container then lvcreate. At least that's what it seems to be doing,
> whereas in the past it would do the LUKS stuff 1st then the LVM stuff.
I don't see any reference to systemd in my fedora 20 fstab. It just
starts out with these lines:
# /etc/fstab
# Created by anaconda on Fri Mar  7 22:16:06 2014
#
# Accessible filesystems, by reference, are maintained under '/dev/disk'
# See man pages fstab(5), findfs(8), mount(8) and/or blkid(8) for more info
#
UUID=5e6e7470-0b7c-4059-b33a-9cb205712dec /
ext4    defaults        1 1
UUID=bd3a8af0-baf8-4cf6-9152-7ae27887155b /home

and the /home UUID is just like it looks in /dev/disk/by-uuid.
maybe it has something to do with selinux. I have it set to permissive
now.. maybe I'll try to add one of those partitions again..

> One thing that I ran into that the naming of the lv must be the same
> as the mount point name.
> ie. lvcreate -L 400G -n pub_Music /dev/mapper/ncc1701_03
>     /dev/mapper/ncc1701_03-pub_Music /pub/Music ext4
> defaults;x-systemd.device-timeout=0 1 2
>
> you can't use pub_audio for the lv name and mount it at /pub/Music, if
> I'm understanding this correctly, which makes no sense to me. But I
> think I've already ruled that out as I did go back and redid it so the
> names matched and I still wind up at maint mode. That's if I only
> uncomment one entry in fstab, if I uncomment all the added entries it
> never boots just gets caught in a starting job for fsck loop counting
> through 1 - 8 for each lv and starting all over again.
>
> I'm thinking about just blowing off my current install and doing the
> full setup through the installer. Unfortunatelly I have never been
> able to run the installer with out reformatting all but the /home
> filesystems since F 19
I have 2 disks with windows 7 and Debian installed, and just specified /
and /home partitions, formatting / and leaving /home alone. The other
partitions on my drive are fine.

--
Paul Cartwright