[ale] backup and sharing encrypted home directory quesitons

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 08:01:35 EDT 2014

On Jun 12, 2014 6:05 AM, "Phil Smith" <philipsmith at alumni.albany.edu> wrote:

> How would I backup (and restore) an encrypted home directory if the HD
that holds the original encrypted home directory crashed???

Back up before it crashes. You can either backup the encrypted container or
the files inside it. In the first, it's a single blob of data. A restore
will require the decrypt key before opening. In the second, the container
is unlocked prior to back up and the files are handled individually with no
encryption.
Some backup systems allow for the encryption of files on the backup media.
Bacula does this but it's mostly overkill for most non-enterprise settings.

> Also, how do I share directories in my encrypted home directory with
other computers on my home network?

They must be unlocked first then shared using a protocol appropriate for
the clients: NFS, CIFS.