[ale] [OT] First Programming Language for Adult??

Ray Vastly rvast938h at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 23:18:02 EDT 2014

If she wants to become a good programmer, then she needs to learn REAL
programming languages. Fortran and Assembly are the only ways to go! Do not
settle for anything less!

=)

But really, Python is a great first language.

Java and C# are marketable, though both languages have their critics. These
would make good second languages.

C should be learned eventually, but down the road. The general concept of
how assembly works is also nice to understand,  but proficiency in assembly
is becoming a niche thing.

Functional programming is starting to get a buzz in some circles, so
Haskell would be another good language down the road.

C++ is going through many exciting new changes, but it's a complicated
language. I've never used D, but it's being worked on by a well respected
C++ authority.